A Plant and A Dog

I feel like we’ve done something wrong in our care of this plant. It is clearly trying to achieve independence from its pot.

And…a drawing of my “nephew” Reggie. My shading game is weak here, but I think his eyes turned out well. (Drawn from a photo.)

(Both drawings: black conte crayon on newsprint.)

Drawing Class #4

Today, at the beginning of the class, we each drew a thumbnail sketch:

The idea was to use the sketch to quickly trouble-shoot our composition before committing to the more time-consuming larger drawing:

(I used brown conte crayon for these.)

Homework for next week is optional and the subject is totally up to us. I think we all struggled with the window assignment…and it showed. Maybe our instructor is afraid to see the results of another challenge!

Giraffe in the Window

Here’s my finished homework assignment (which was: draw a window, showing both the interior and exterior view).

I’m drawing on 9″ x 12″ paper and didn’t want to stuff a large scene into that small space, so I opted for this cropped view…just a portion of my window, and the neighbor’s house beyond.

I like parts of this drawing, but overall I don’t think it works. Maybe the biggest problem is the lack of depth of field between my window and the neighbor’s house? I’m not sure how to show that distance.

It’ll be good to get the instructor’s feedback next Saturday, and to see how the other students tackled this challenge.

Drawing Class #3

The mission of yesterday’s class was to do a still life drawing using the measuring technique we learned last week, and drawing with conte crayon in our choice of color: black, brown, or sanguine.

I got off to a rocky start, drawing too small and working myself into a state of paralysis when all my drawn proportions seemed correct, but if they were right then why was this one section of the drawing so wrong? The instructor came around and sat in front of my drawing and corrected it (all those bold lines are hers)…

…and kindly told me that I might want to turn the page on this one and start fresh. The second attempt went much better, I think. (I also tackled a smaller section of the still life arrangement which probably helped.)

Conte crayon is interesting. Easier than compressed charcoal, more difficult than willow charcoal. I definitely want to work with it some more, and to try the other colors as well.

Other students brought in really good drawings from last week’s homework assignment. I was not the only one who drew a practical pair of shoes. Along with several pairs of athletic shoes, there was one stylish pair of ankle boots, a beautifully rendered pair of rubber boots, and a great pair of Doc Martens.

Next week’s homework is challenging: draw a window, and show what’s on both the interior and exterior sides of the window.

Emma’s Stripes

I think I mentioned before about trying to draw Emma’s stripes. The stripes on her forehead, when I draw them, usually end up looking like a strange symbol has been stuck on her face by some prankster.

I attempted her stripes again in a sketch last night. This is drawn from a photo, because there’s no way she was sitting still for this.

This is actually a little better than my previous attempts. Getting closer! Practice, practice, practice.